Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fall

Or, Autumn.

I still haven't resized my pictures. I'm still just a little bit afraid to put any more of my photos in this laptop, after that eerie file-switching episode.
Surely you understand.

In lieu, I'm making a list. Yes, a list. Yes, again. But, I like to make lists.

It's just after photography, in my 'favorite things' list.

~ Color. Usually, midwest winds positively rip through our hometown, and the every leaf that was just a tad loose didn't stand a chance. Hence, within twenty four hours, there were only ugly brown oak leaves left.

Well. This year was completely different. We had a couple of heavy winds, but nothing like the September\October typhoons we often get. And the maple, beech, ash, and poplar trees were stunning. Stunning enough to use italics.
(I may have mentioned the stunning trees before. But repetition never hurt anyone.)


~ The air is ten times more clear. This is a great mystery to me, since the season has to do with shutting down for winter, and that means the chlorophyll from the green leaves has since dissipated.
In English, I'm trying to say that the air isn't actually that much purer in autumn. But it feels like it is.

~ Taking walks in the woods with the sun shining and the breeze causing the brightened leaves to drift downward is an experience. It's seriously close to topping my 'experiences' list. Currently, it's right underneath a still, thick snowfall--also in the woods. But there's honestly nothing like watching falling leaves. The entire forest is glowing yellow, between the current carpet, and the remaining leaves.

~ Autumn prepares everything for winter. . . and us, too. It's time for fleece hoodies; comfy, soft blankies; steaming hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped cream (marshmallows are a pretty high requirement, by the way; but not extremely necessary. In other words, I'll accept hot chocolate without marshmallows or whipped cream.); and those good movies you always wanted to watch, the good books you always wanted to read. 

I never did understand the term "Summer Reading."

Fact: The temperature of what a person may be holding, whether it's hot or cold, can affect their reactions towards other people.

This post is to inform you, perhaps, that now that November's here, and most of the trees are bare, and the nights are frosty, and I've pulled out said fleece sweatshirts, leggings, blankies, and the "Don't Bother Talking To Me Till This Mug Is Empty" mug. . . .

It's time to put all this gear to work. I'm ready for snow now, people.

1 comment: