Maybe.
I wasn't even ready for tomorrow, just kept thinking of it as another Thursday--this time with no piano lesson--until somebody asked me if, in fact, I was ready for Thanksgiving. And then I was like "it's Thanksgiving this Thursday?"
So, that was the start to thinking of this tomorrow as Thanksgiving and not just another Thursday.
Anyways, to get back to my subject: Thanksgiving is a perfect time for a list, correct? Do I even need to write the topic?
~ Being done with high school. Yes, I finished months ago. But it makes it all the more worth it every time I see a school bus, hear peers talk about college, or even think about last spring, when I put every single thing on hold just to finish up. Hence, I'm so, so grateful. High school didn't like me and vice versa.
~ My eight nieces and nephews, four of each. Ranging from 10 years old, to 12 months old, they help me keep life in perspective. Anytime I'm having a bad day, all I have to do is think about them, or go through my file folder full of coloring-book pages and freelance drawings. There are plenty of voluntary hugs from them. . . and there's nothing like a free hug from a kid to make you feel like a billion bucks.
~ My hometown. Well, home-village. Technically, the population isn't big enough to be called a 'town'. Tehe. Some days, I come close to detesting the familiarity, now that I know a great many of the people herein. But most days, I trundle into town in dorky old subaru with a smile on my face.
~ My curly hair. That sounds horribly vain, but first you must understand: It takes a lot for me to be thankful for it. It's long, it tangles, it's a strange brunde color (yes, brunde. It's not brunette and it's not blonde.), and I have a heck of a time fixing it in the morning. If I don't use gallons of conditioner and a palmful of gel, my hair would stick out like Miss Frizzle's from The Magic School Bus. But I got to thinking how much harder it would be to deal with if it had no texture of its own. If it wasn't curly, or even wavy, would I have to straighten it every day? Would I have a large collection of hats?
~ Books and my love of reading. I have some friends--well, actually, I have many friends--who don't understand this. I get teased often about being a librarian, and about how much I read (it's all friendly, have no fear.) This is when I stop and wonder what it is these people do all day. I have never, ever, understood people who don't read. Are they workaholics? Do they just think they're too busy? Would they rather stare at the wall on their spare time?It's my humble opinion that these people simply have not found the right kind of book for them. This is a subject for another day.
~ That being said. . . my library job. It took thirteen months of ups and downs. . . and maybe this is just another 'up'. But I love what I do, and even (I never thought I'd say this) interacting with the patrons. And I don't even have to mention the part about being around books all day!
~ My normal, four-seasons, Midwest home. What would I do without snow in winter?
~ Ice cream and coffee. Need I say more?
~ I saved family for last--but definitely not least. I mean, my family is huge! *grin* I already mentioned my nieces and nephews, but not my parents, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and brothers-in-law! Unfortunately, I only see most aunts and uncles once a year, if that. Tomorrow, it will be one long year since I last saw my Gramma and Grampa. Someday I will just get in the car and drive the three-hour distance.
And now, I'll sign off to go help my sister frost two dozen cupcakes for my niece's and nephew's birthday tomorrow. Surprise!
Happy Thanksgiving to my five readers ;)



I left a comment on this post Thur. morn. I must not have clicked Post Comment!
ReplyDeleteAnyhow...happy Thanksgiving to you too, I was trying to say, among other things, that I was looking forward to the post you write about finding the perfect book for a non-reader;I married one. This is hilarious but he read two Zane Grey books last week...one kept him up 'til 2am. The other one, around midnight, I heard him hissing,"...that was so CHEESY!" to himself. But maybe I'm closing in on the key in making him a reader! Westerns? who woulda thunk.