I took a ton of pictures along the way, at Megan's urging, so I could post them on here. . . now I have to weed through and pick the best. I figure I'll start today, then can accomplish the rest later on.
So, here's what I started with:
Piles of six-inch squares. Megs and I chopped up old denim and flannel pieces, though apparently you can use any cotton fabric. We had issues with the stretchiness of some of the flannel.
See? Sentimentality. A must in quilting. Maybe.
Ellie is a nice touch, but not necessary. Though the squares could certainly add some character with a bit of cat hair.
My work station. Complete with scissors, clear ruler template, and pin magnet. And a draped cat. She loves to help, but gets bored if the going is slow.
Some of the fabric I'll be using, minus that red-and-green plaid. All this flannel had been nightgowns once upon a time.
After putting two squares of different fabric with right sides together, I sew an X across them. X not included in this picture.
The most adorable fabric ever--scattered with Beatrix Potter's mice! My Gramma read Beatrix Potter to me from her classic collection--the old, mint-green bound books. I loved those stories! So of course this was my nightgown, even if it was a hand-me-down.
Adorable!
So, after sewing together these double-sided squares. . . which takes an eternity, I'll warn. . . I started lining them up. Which is kind of a silly idea with a cat who thinks anything on the floor is for her intents and purposes alone. Heck, anything on my sewing table is hers for all intents and purposes. It's amazing she stays off the dining room table--thank goodness!I love the denim variations. But I only had six of the extremely dark denim.
See? double sided. I sewed a piece of flannel to a piece of denim. I kept slightly better track of pieces that way. Other than that, I had no system whatsoever. Slightly frightening to the structured, lover-of-organization type.
And I managed to get a single photo without Ellie sprawled across it. This isn't the final product placement, though. Whirlwinds resembling the Tazmanian Devil often fly through the living room, snatching phantoms creeping throughout said room. These whirlwinds have four legs, whiskers, claws, and one possesses a loud mew. The destruction was consistant and, well, destructive. And I must've laid out the quilt fifty-four different times.
But that gives you an idea, at any rate.
Finished product coming up soon.












wow, cutting up those squares was alot of work!! lol!! but worth it. And now you have an awesome quilt!! Er, well Ellie's quilt...something like that.
ReplyDelete