Monday, November 19, 2012

A Shocking Surprise

(forgive the redundancy of that poor title, writing papers consistently is taking its toll)

I'm alive!

(that was the shocking surprise. I hope it lived up.)

Otherwise, I really don't have anything to talk about except these:
  1. Megan has told me several times pointedly that I have not blogged for a long, long, long time.
  2. Jo and aforementioned Megan and  have been writing every day about what they're thankful for, leaving me sadly lacking in the blogging department. . .
  3. I HAVE A HONDA!
(that one slipped out early)

Otherwise, there are only three weeks left of this semester! I'm 6 credits towards my Arts Associate, and I've signed up for at least 9 more to take in spring! After December 14th, I won't have to think about school until after New Year's Day. Ah-MAZ-ing!!

Here's something to mention: Halfway through next year's first semester, I will have a new nephew. For which I am utterly excited! Anyone who reads this blog much at all will no doubt realize how much I adore babies in particular. And anyone you fall in love with as a baby is bound to have a piece of your heart all their life.

Here's something to worry about: I have been reading next to nothing lately. Seriously. A couple of days can go by without me cracking the cover of a book open.
This is a very serious problem, one I'm scared to investigate.

Honestly, it's probably just because I'm so totally picky about the stories that can hold my attention. I can't count the number of times I've tried to read a book only to find myself flipping through to the end to discover the main plot points, and then back through the book to find these plot developments.
So I have to deduce one of two things: a) there is either something very, very wrong with me or b) there is something very, very wrong with the publishing markets.

Of course, I'd like to choose the latter.
But who really knows?

So what am I doing with my spare time now that I don't read?

Generally, I browse the internet, watch Andy Griffith with Megs, and generally avoid all my homework (read: Pinterest!). Other times, like now, I blog while I wait till math class. I have an hour till it starts, and I've been waiting since Composition class let out over two hours ago. Usually I have Communications in between, but my group was excused today, which means I can sit at the table I've claimed as my own in the school library for several hours, a vantage point which allows me to see everyone without them seeing me. Which is, of course, the best.

For instance, I discover that I am (or rather seem to be) the only one on campus who does not use a swear word every other sentence. If that.

Here's something college has taught me: a person can get very creative upon procrastination. For instance, I clean my room sometimes now. I can also look up the next series' of my favorite British shows, such as Sherlock. Or try to avoid (not) spoilers for Downton Abbey. (which, by the way, I've discovered who Julian Fellowes has killed off in this season, and I am intensely, deeply angered. This knowledge has kept me up at night. I almost refuse to watch series 3)

And now. I have dreamed of this moment:

My Honda.

*squeal*

Well, soon 'my' Honda.

It's a '95 (and it's not boxy!!), and it's red. It has a cd player, which I've just discovered actually works! It is a two-door, and the best part is that it gets over 30 mpg!

 
I can now join the ranks of my friends who have nice cars (if not really nice), and can enjoy driving a dependable car.
I can also now use the drive thru's, go the back ways without worrying about stopping too much, pick up friends to go somewhere without feeling embarrassed, and go wherever I want to whenever I want to, without worrying about parking or who will see my car. In fact, I want people to see my car! 
 
Maybe it's sad that such a thing can totally turn my world around. But the point is, it has. I think somehow the old Subaru I used to drive (I've waited a long time to be able to say that!!) was becoming a personification of everything that was bringing me down in this world, and it killed me to get in it and have it fight me.

Well. Most teens have to drive a really crummy car for several years, and I'm no exception. Well, maybe I am, because there were good things about the Sub. (yes, I just said that.)
For instance, it was an automatic.
I'm the first in my family to be able to drive an automatic car (a fact I was forced to remember upon complaining). Every one of my sisters had to drive a stick as their first car. I was the exception to this. Which means that I do not know how to drive stick, but I'll worry about that later. One of my sisters in particular had to drive an 80's model Renault that barely held together. The steering wheel popped off; the clutch popped off; the seat-belt on the passenger side failed. . . and that's only the beginning of its problems.
She has extreme appreciation for her new Honda model now, needless to say.

Lucky Old Sub (so fortuitously named due to its success in staying out of the telephone poles that so tempted me and the accelerator) also had a six-cd-changer player, which I used the heck out of.

But now, I'm enjoying the smile that spreads across my face when I get to go somewhere--or that genuine grin that comes when I merely glimpse my car through the window.

Pretty much.
And now it's 2:22 (so much for not having much to talk about), which means I can slowly make my way to the other side of campus to get some homework done early. . . which could mean an early dismissal for me!

2 comments:

  1. You probably don't realize how much character your "old" car was giving you...

    ReplyDelete