Monday, September 17, 2012

Prepare Yourselves

It's autumn.
That time of year when I wax eloquent on all things cold and poignant.

Here's the deal, though, school has once again made me afraid to write anything, so it may come out stilted. I remember that with high school English classes: everything I pick up to read, whether it be an advertisment pamphlet or a sweeping epic novel, becomes another piece of writing to analyze. And my own writing?

Let's not go there.

Anyways, today is threatening to be one of those depressing fall days, because the sky suddenly got gloomy, and the wind is all sporadic and foreboding. Added to this is my current cold, even if I was a little excited to be able to stay home from school. So I decided to make one of my inevitable lists about why fall is so great:
  1. The air is so clear. Gone are the days of gasping for air because all you could try to breathe was that sticky summer air born of humidity and high dew-point.
  2. The stars! Yeah, there are summer nights that are so clear, you find yourself trying to touch the Milky Way, but refer to #1 in this list. Yes, the air is clearer and colder, hence the stars are brighter and closer! And this year I'm arming myself with a book or three on constellations. I'm trying to be one of those annoying people who can point out every single series of stars out there.
  3. The temperature of coffee is finally enjoyable. It takes the edge out of the morning chill. Plus, you can add to your seasonally-possible drink repetoire by adding hot chocolate and tea without killing yourself from added heat!
  4. Hoodies are once again socially acceptable. You just don't see hoodies in summer. And quite frankly, you feel ridiculous if you try to wear one when it's 90+ degrees outside.
  5. Fuzzy socks. Do I even have to explain this one?
  6. The ability to cuddle up with blanket(s) while reading, studying, watching movies, etc. Unless your ac is set at a lovely low duing summer, this, like hoodies and long sleeves, just isn't possible in summer.
  7. I remain consistent in this belief: it is so much easier to warm up than it is to cool down. In winder you can just keep adding layers, or drink or eat something hot. In summer, there is simply nothing you can do but turn the dial of your ac, and that is not an option for many people.
  8. BOOTS! I am not one of those fun-loving, spontaneous types who love being able to kick on a pair of flip-flops and head out the door. a) my feet get cold in any situation, b) my feet are ugly anyways, and c) they make my feet hurt quicker than flats. I love, love, love being able to wear tall riding-style or cowboy boots over multiple socks, thus solving all three situations presented by summer shoes.
So goodbye to summer and its associative sweat, humidity, painful shoes, short-sleeve insecurity, and long hot jean skirts. And welcome cold weather, with its long nights of cozy reading, and being able to cover yourself with thousands of blankets in bed. At last!

No comments:

Post a Comment