Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Epiphany

 3.  a (1): a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2): an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3): an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure  
b: a revealing scene or moment
c: sitting on the front porch during a steady pouring rain sipping a fresh cup of coffee
 
Of course, c wasn't in the Merriam-Webster definition.
I was the genius behind that.
As if.
 
I love the rain. I didn't used to like the thunderstorms that often accompanied the rain, but that was when I was little, and the heavy thunder would frighten me.
There currently seems to be a shortage of rain everywhere in the States--except, perhaps, Seattle?--the Midwest particularly, so when tropical storm\hurricane Isaac came through, there was an air of anticipation. But nothing more than mists came through over the last few days, a few spits here and there of moisture, a couple distant booms of thunder.
Today I woke up to a quiet morning, no loud, fat raindrops pounding out a chorus on my skylight, not even a gentle patter! And even though there was moisture clinging to the greenery outside, I had not heard rain heavy enough to wake me.
So when I finally put my book (At Every Turn by Anne Mateer) aside to go downstairs to make coffee around 10, I was bewildered to hear the aforementioned wished-for gentle patter. By the time that miraculous machine we call the coffeemaker was done gurgling its morning tune, it was growing in intensity, becoming that joyful pour. As there is not even a slight wind to push it into our porch, I naturally couldn't resist going out there to nurse my cup of coffee in solitude.
 
I love those moments when you can just let your mind wander. Having something as inspiring as sunlit leaves, or the (finally) first morning glory blooms, or (here it comes) the longed-for rains of autumn is a bonus that only heightens the therapy of the moment. I read somewhere that the Japanese set aside time to ensure a drawn-out cup of coffee or tea, often taking hours, seeing it as necessary for a peaceful life. I totally understand.
 
So yes, I'm one of those people who smiles when it rains. And not just these rains that come once in a blue moon, as they have literally done this year. Inspiration strikes more frequently during a rainstorm than on a clear sunny day. And what better excuse is there to curl up with a good book than a wet, gray day? I also adore being able to wear hoodies and long sleeves. Of course, it's hardly cold enough for that yet, with this tropical air Isaac is sharing. But it's coming, and the anticipation is almost as much fun as the reality.
 
No, if you were expecting from the title an earth-shattering revelation I came to this morning, you are to be disappointed. Instead it was that still, quietly-growing bloom of contentedness that I've missed so much. My "illuminating discovery or realization" was more like a small, sudden smile I didn't even know I wore.
 
Let's hope it lasts through tomorrow's return to school, and the assignment I have no idea what to do with!

1 comment:

  1. I love your definition :) I was even happy about the rain today. And I even had a cup of coffee! well sortof. Okay well...I will now try to prove to blogger that I am not a robot. Which actually is harder than ever. LAst time it took me three tries!!! Wow this is a long comment. But I thought I might as well make it worth the squinting at the picture/ number combo...hehehe ;)

    ReplyDelete