| Expectation |
. .. is not what these cookies looked like.
Yes, it's true. I got all inspired last night when looking through a Taste of Home cookbook, and this afternoon I strangely made up my mind to make these cookies, found on Pinterest. The secret ingredient is cornstarch! They won't spread with cornstarch! They are perfect, chewy chocolate chip cookies! Bake until golden brown--they're perfect!
Sounds great--I'll begin my baking extravaganza with these superb cookies!
Golden-brown, my foot.
![]() |
| Reality (found this on Google. Only difference is, mine weren't burnt, just destroyed) |
Needless to say, I don't think I'll try cookies again for a while. These 'perfect, chewy cookies!' were in the oven for two minutes when they spread like a melting scoop of ice cream, complete with the perfect mountain in the middle. . .
And then they skipped the color process. Tell me, recipe, what is this golden-brown of which you speak?
To make a long story longer, the cookies were a perfect example of the many chocolate chip cookie recipes my family has tried; a large brown disc with an uncooked, white center.
Only difference? These cookies definitely weren't crispy. Weird, but true; I can't scrape them off the pan even now, two hours after they came out of the oven. They're too soft, and crumple into a million tiny pieces when I try to gently scrape their thin glory off the cookie sheet.
They were in the oven for no longer than 9 minutes, as the recipe suggested.
In other news, there is no other news. I'm having small heart-attacks about school starting on Monday. I've never gone to school day after day before. . . going three days a week should not be bad at all. But there it is, my happy little comfort-zone is being pushed forward, and I'll freak out until I get used to it.
(Excuse me while I go read inspiring quotes in Pinterest about moving forward in life)
Over the last months of trying to enjoy my moments of lengthy days at home, I've accomplished:
- Stargazing during the Perseid showers two weekends ago. I've never seen meteors that big before. And staying out in the garden for two hours with Mom and two of my sisters was great fun.
- Watching some Olympics! For once in my life. I caught some of the best stuff, swimming and gymnastics. . . including a few Phelps\Lochte matches, and Gabby's gold win! On a big screen, no less. . . housesitting has perks ;)
- Buying a backpack! Call me nerdy, but I love buying school supplies. Just. . . not for school. Go figure.
- Discovering a friend has all the books I need for my courses this semester, which means I don't have to awkwardly manuver around the bookstore at school, drawing attention to myself!
- Calling about a car. This is a big step, for those who know me. It's finally easier enough to pick up the phone and call somebody I don't know from work. . . but from home, it's somehow much harder. Shadows of the past (and present) when I would make a total fool of myself on the phone. Let alone in person. And even if the car didn't work out. . . at least I called.
- Revelling in the cool air and chilly nights of late, only to stifle in the recurrent heat today. Oh dear.
- Getting away for a weekend with my sisters to Gramma's house. My only regret was the short length of time we could spare. Someday I'll spend more than four days there.
- Actually finishing a book! I haven't actually finished a book for many weeks
- This song:
. . . and consequently buying a bunch of music on iTunes to make some cd's for the drive to school. Or at least putting it in my iTunes wish list for later. . . I'm so terribly indecisive.
So, the absentee blogger hasn't been doing anything blog-worthy. Which explains that terrible silence. . . My next step is finding a new background!


Oh my gosh I didn't realize people had such problems with chocolate chip cookies. :( I have one recipe that I have always used (first one I ever tried) and it has worked perfectly each and every time. In fact, I roll the dough into little balls and freeze them so that way whenever I want a warm and gooey chocolate chip cookie I could pop two balls in the oven and voila'! Perfect results without threatening my waistline. I will send you the recipe! And there is no cornstarch in it!
ReplyDeletehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/usjexrqc3v55x20/chocchip.JPG
ReplyDeleteHere's the link. :)
Yay it's that song that gets stuck in my head!! lol
ReplyDeleteand the cookies still tasted yummy!
Hmmmm I was instantly reminded of the color burnt sienna.
ReplyDelete