Thursday, August 4, 2011

Third Person vs. First

It's a dilemma. I write best, I believe, in first person. That is to say, it's my favorite. Possibly because I write so many journal and diary entries, but also because all the snippets of stories I scribble down are in first person.

However. 
(You knew that was coming, right?)
How is it possible to write a story with two main characters in first person? Naturally, third person would work for this setting, but would it be limited or omniscient? I admit to having a hard time with both. I started writing last night, and discovered how much I was 'telling', not 'showing', and almost ripped the page (yes, one page. *sigh*) out.

Siri Mitchell became one of my favorite authors when I read her Love's Pursuit
What struck me in this story was Siri's use of first person--from two points of view: Susannah's, and Hope's (or Small-Hope, as she is through most of the novel). This wasn't confusing to the reader, though, as you might think. After a few sentences, it became clear who was speaking due to the obvious circumstances and personalities.

I have always thought that a book written in first person immediately pulled you straight into the storyline. It's the best way to experience the character's emotions and thoughts, and understand their actions and words. You see other characters through the one person. You see life from a fresh angle.

But a highly-developed plot, with a multitude of characters, such as Charles Dickens, demands third-person, and generally in the omniscient form. Of course, I can't claim to have read an entire Dickens novel, but I have read some of Bleak House, and was highly interested in each scene when I discovered how each character gave some part of his\her point of view, without it become too confusing.

It's basically up to the author entirely. But what about an indecisive author?

Maybe if I can get past the inhibiting fear of getting everyone 'right' in third-person, it'll be alright. For now, perhaps I'll stick with first.

No comments:

Post a Comment